It is the usability of a website that determines the success or failure of a brand or a business. This is because, other than the partners, customers also browse through a website, especially if they are interested in a particular product or service. Therefore, it’s imperative that a website should be user-centric and easy to navigate. The first step to achieve this is by getting a good website design. Many agencies like Blurn in Sydney offer various web designing services that can help brands to multiply their profits and achieve their desired results.
Major components of website design:-
1. Web layout: The layout of a website is one of the most important components of a web design. This can be one of the major aspects of a user’s initial experience.
2. Colour and typography: The colour scheme and font can affect a website, as too bright colours may cause issues like invisibility while darker colours may not look very attractive. Opt for a perfect balance of colours.
3. Options/components for navigation: The options or link to various pages on the website should match the look and feel of a website. In this way, the visitors can easily browse through the website and pick what they need.
4. Content: This is another essential element. A mere design with no content would be meaningless. Web designers should put strong focus on the content as it can attract or put off visitors.
The things users look for on a website:-
1. Quality and credibility: Most users appreciate the quality of both website and content. A well-designed website with high-quality content helps in gaining traffic easily. This can motivate the audiences to pick a service or products from a brand’s website. Blurn in Sydney is one of the best companies to offer web designing and other digital marketing services. They work closely with brands to ensure that their business goals are met at every stage.
2. Ease in navigation: Users scan through websites and don’t read each word. They usually try to skip the content to achieve what they are looking for. If a website seems complicated, users would immediately abandon it and find their way to a different website.
3. Not too simple: If a website is too simple to look at, chances are high that customers would leave as soon as they visit the website. This would cause loss in business and the search engines would rank the website lower in a search result.
4. Liberty & freedom to visit and leave with ease: Instead of going through the entire website, customers navigate to other pages or may just visit without conversion. Also, some people read the entire content and then navigate to other pages on the website. Customers should be free to follow their intuition.
5. More control: Nobody would like to see annoying pop-up ads when they are in the middle of reading something or navigating through a website. It is a good practice to always have a back button or options to open links in new windows.
Principles of good and effective website design:-
1. Don’t make users think too much: The website should be clear and self-explanatory regarding what it is all about. Users are not interested in thinking or specifically searching about what the brand offers. If the website and web pages are designed in a complicated way, the user may get confused and leave the website and may never return! This would result in a fall of website traffic and conversions too.
2. Design a responsive website: Get a responsive website. People love to get back to websites that load faster. Also, if there is ease in navigation and the website doesn’t demand for registration or personal data, people might even end up opting for your products or services faster.
3. Focus on maintaining user attention: If the content is simple and easy to read and understand, people would continue reading the same, rather than navigating to other websites. If annoying ads or spam windows pop up, users may abandon the website. Focusing user attention on what a brand wants to promote would be effective only when there is a better user experience and presence of good and high-quality content.
4. Highlight the features and functions of the website: Websites these days should have a clean user interface where the functions and features of the website should be clearly visible on the home page. This would make the website and content a user-friendly one. In short, visitors should be able to easily interact with the system.
5. Make sure that the content is effective: The writing style should be simple and effective. Most audiences would not like to read a promotional piece where the brand speaks only of itself and claims to be the best one. Avoid comparison with competitors or naming of any brand. Also, avoid exaggerations and plain text without images.
6. Make it straightforward: To uncomplicate things should always be the primary goal of any website. Users hate complex websites with high sounding words and complicated features. Make sure that the content on your website matches your niche market. A user-friendly webpage can provide good user experience, happy customers and more conversions.
7. Know that white space is not a threat: White space helps users understand the information provided. It also lends a clean look to your website. When two design elements are separated using white space, the website looks more presentable.
8. Include social share buttons: Creating great content would be pointless if it fails to give users the opportunity to share the content. A brand would miss out on a lot from social media traffic and conversions if there is no social share button. When a website incorporates social media buttons of various social networking sites it helps in directly sharing the content on the social media.
9. Make use of the right images: Every image may not necessarily fit in the webpage or may not suit the content. Make sure that the images provided suits the content. Using real images on a brand’s website rather than making use of stock images provides a more authentic feel.
10. Enable mobile phone optimisation: Make sure your website is also optimised for smartphones. Nowadays most people use smartphones to shop, use social media and browse the internet. If your website is optimised for smartphones, the traffic and conversion on the website will increase and so will the website rankings on search engine results. Blurn web design can help double your profits and help your brand earn back each penny spent on digital marketing services. Contact Blurn to know more about these services.