A woman who was determined to get her “money’s worth” at a $70, all-you-can-eat restaurant has revealed things went horribly wrong.
A woman who wanted to get her “money’s worth” at an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet has revealed how her efforts went horribly wrong, landing her in hospital.
Danielle Shapiro, 24, spent $US50 ($70) on the unlimited feast at Sushi 85 restaurant in Mountain View, California, last month.
But after indulging a little too much, including 32 rolls of sushi, her uncooked delights left her feeling a bit raw inside.
Following the binge, Shapiro was rushed to the emergency room with severe stomach pains. That’s where she was diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly known as acid reflux, theNY Postreports.
Shapiro shared the experience in a TikTok on December 23, in which she shows off the mountains of food she consumed in one sitting, and the subsequent trip to the hospital that left her with IVs in her arms.
“All you can eat sushi gone wrong…,” she captioned her viral video that has clocked up over 11.3 million views.
“I am a huge fan of sushi. I like to eat it a couple times a month if I’m lucky,” said Shapiro, adding that she had planned a trip to dine on Japanese fare with her friend. “We were both looking forward to the ‘all-you-can-eat sushi experience.’”
“Our dinner was about two hours long because we were so stuffed we had to keep taking breaks,” she added.
She started off with miso soup, four gyozas and jalapeño poppers. She then moved on to eight green dragon rolls, eight snow rolls, eight California rolls, eight wakame rolls and a helping of edamame.
However, after an uncomfortable drive home, Shapiro said her belly felt “very firm from all the sushi” and speculated the rice had “expanded in my stomach”.
“That night I went to sleep at my boyfriend’s house and I had the worst stomach ache but didn’t think much of it since I had a huge meal,” she explained.
“I am not a morning person so when I woke up around 6am the next day I knew something was wrong.”
Her boyfriend and her grandmother reportedly drove her to the hospital when she started suffering intense chest and stomach pains, where doctors diagnosed her with acid reflux and gave medication to alleviate her pain.
Following treatment, Shapiro admitted it took several days to recover and feel normal again.
Despite her trauma, she won’t quit her favourite dish.
“I will definitely eat sushi again. This experience has not ruined sushi for me, or the all-you-can-eat sushi experience. I did learn that next time I need to listen to my body and take things slower,” she concluded.
People experience acid reflux when stomach acid flows back up to the oesophagus, according to Health Direct.
Acid reflux is extremely common, and can happen to virtually anyone.
Symptoms include heartburn, chest pain, regurgitation of food or sour liquid and difficulty swallowing.
This article originally appeared on the NY Post and was reproduced with permission