15.2 C
Wednesday, June 19, 2024

How mould and dampness in a building can affect your health

Must read

We have all heard the term “mould” or “moist” before, but what exactly does this term mean? It means “mould spores” and is everywhere, and it can cause many health issues, especially when inhaled. The spores of mould are irritants and allergens that can cause various symptoms in humans.

Mould growth in the home is a serious concern.

There are many types of mould in your home. While they are harmless in small amounts, the dangers of exposing yourself and your family to large numbers of mould spores are real. The spores grow on damp surfaces and can easily be inhaled, especially if you are sensitive. 

To prevent the spread of mould spores, ensure that the building is properly ventilated and that the exhaust fans vent to the outside. If the building is prone to mould, you should also use cleaning products designed to kill mould. Ensure to wipe down tiles and shower curtains, and don’t leave wet clothes in the laundry hamper. Make sure that the water drainage is away from the house as well.

Despite these risks, there is no single way to prevent exposure to mould spores. However, it would help to have the building checked by a licensed mould remediation professional.

Mould spores can trigger allergic reactions, respiratory infections, and even asthma attacks

Some people may also experience a serious case of asthma after being exposed to mould spores. And, it’s not just the spores themselves that are the danger – exposure to these spores can be life-threatening. However, other factors can lead to mould toxicity, so it’s vital to take action to reduce exposure to mould.

Mould spores are found on almost everything. Even if you don’t notice them, mould spores are still present. They can grow on surfaces and produce black or green stains, and they’re everywhere in a building. When they become visible, they are categorized as mould and can harm you. They can also affect your property’s structure and cosmetics.

Mould spores are allergens

If you live in a damp and mouldy building, you may be suffering from mould allergies. If a person suspects that they are allergic to mould, a doctor will take their medical history and perform a skin test. If your doctor confirms the presence of mould allergies, your treatment will include a change in your lifestyle and medication. 

Controlling the moisture in the building and repairing leaks will help prevent mould from growing. Also, make sure to clean your house and furniture regularly. You can also purchase a special mould-inhibit paint for your walls. Aside from that, get a professional to clean your building and contact them on their website.

Mould spores are irritants

High airborne mould spores can trigger respiratory and allergic reactions, including asthma attacks. These symptoms may be temporary or lead to more severe conditions, including allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. Because mould spores grow on living tissue, they can attach to respiratory tract cells, which may trigger an allergic response. This reaction is known as an epiphenomenon.

When people are exposed to mould, their symptoms may include itchy eyes, sneezing, and runny nose. People with asthma may develop symptoms, including wheezing and watery eyes. Excessive mould exposure may also cause respiratory infections, including aspergillosis, pneumonia, and pulmonary embolism. These effects may be more severe in those with weakened immune systems.

The first step in addressing mould problems in a building is to open the windows. Use non-porous gloves and eye protection to avoid spreading mould spores. Professionals use air movers, dehumidifiers, and HEPA air scrubbers to remove moisture from the air. They will also provide proper heating and insulation in cold climates. Proper ventilation in wet areas is critical to the health and safety of building occupants.

People with mould allergies should have a plan to address any potential emergency. This plan should be based on the severity of the allergic reaction. In severe cases, mould exposure may lead to hypersensitivity pneumonitis, an inflammatory disease of the lungs. It can also cause skin and mucous membrane infections. Most people do not develop systemic infections from mould. However, those with weakened immune systems may be at higher risk of developing a mould infection.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article