At least 25 % of the power most homes use is from heating your water. Most people cannot live without their hot water now. Who wants to give up hot showers or baths, hot laundry washes, your dishwasher, or even your heating? There is now a lot of choice on the market in different systems so you need to choose the best option for your needs when you arrange a hot water system installation, Perth. But you can also talk to them about choosing more energy-efficient systems so that it is better for the environment and your savings.
Choosing an energy-saving Hot Water System
An energy-saving water heater is a great choice for any home whether you need to save some money or not. When you have a hot water installation Perth, you can talk to them about what tips they might have for further energy saving, but below are some that anyone can follow.
Strategies for reducing your water heating costs
There are many things to think about when you are looking at reducing your water heating costs. Adopt all of them or some of them, even just one will save you a little something!
1. Cut down on how much hot water you use – it sounds silly to say perhaps but there are actually a lot of ways people waste hot water and you might not even think about how that all adds up in wasted water and energy. Leaving the shower running when you get distracted on the phone, having a hot water tap that is leaking and not fixing it, using hot water clothes washing settings when a cold wash would be just as good. Take a look at where you can make changes. Consider swapping to machines that are energy-saving.
2. Turn down your thermostat a little – even just turning it down by 10 degrees Fahrenheit can save you three to five percent on your costs. It is also better for your pipes and water heater and that means they have a longer lifespan and require fewer repairs so you save money there.
3. Insulate the water heater tank – if you have a tank system insulating it will help prevent heat loss which can range between 25% to 45%. This adds up to savings between 4% to 9%. During your hot water system installation Perth, ask them to add the insulation or you can do it yourself. At the same time, you could have your hot water pipes insulated too.
4. Use drain water heat recovery systems – since a good 80% to 90% of the energy used to heat water goes down the drain, this is something that captures the heat and uses it so saves a lot of energy and money. Installing heat traps is another means of preventing the loss of heat.
5. Put your heater on a timer during a hot water installation Perth – this way you can have it shut off during the times when no-one in the house needs hot water, like during the night.